Legalisation is a proof for the document emanating from the authorities of the state or compiled with the assistance of the authorities and consistent with the law of that state. It lies in the authentication of signature of the person signing the document and the seal of the authorized state body.
In accordance with international practice, there is no need for the legalization of passports and substituting documents.
The documents and acts that are contrary to the laws of Turkmenistan or its content may harm the interests of Turkmenistan or contain information discrediting the honour and dignity of citizens, as well as the originals and copies of passports, workbooks, military cards, identity cards, the ownership of the property, documents that are directly related to commercial or customs operations (accounts, documents on the movement of goods across the border, the agreement for the supply of goods, customs declarations, etc.) are not subject to legalisation.
The following procedure should be carried out prior to submitting the documents to the
Embassy of Turkmenistan for legalisation:
1. Documents need to be certified by a public notary.
2. Documents should be legalized (Apostilled) by the Legalisation Office of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (UK), Ministry for Foreign Affairs or other authorized authorities of Finland, Sweden and Norway.
3. Each document should be certified and legalized separately and sealed properly with a ribbon.
4. Photocopies of all the documents must be provided to the Embassy of Turkmenistan.
5. Self-addressed, stamped/pre-paid envelope for special delivery if you would like us to send your documents by post.
Please note that if any of these requirements are not fulfilled, the Embassy reserves the right not to accept the documents for legalization.
The fee for the legalization depends on the service the applicant prefers:
standard service during 4-10 business days
express service – during 1-3 business days
The legalization fees must be paid in GBP according to the exchange rate of the Bank of England on the day of the application. (Account name: Embassy of Turkmenistan Consul / Sort code: 30-65-41 / Account number: 44328360)
standard service – 55 USD
express service – 95 USD
Documents should be submitted in person to the Consular Section of the Embassy of Turkmenistan.
The Consular Section is open on Monday-Friday from 09.30 a.m. till 12.00 p.m. except for Wednesdays, National Holidays of Turkmenistan, and UK Bank Holidays.